Saturday, May 10, 2014

Time to Change the Name of My Blog To...I GRADUATED!






THE DAY FINALLY ARRIVED...

Yesterday, at 9:53 AM, I walked from the field house at UNK down the hall, down the stairs, and into the Health and Sports Complex.  According to Ken and Rylee, I was showing my nerves by my fidgeting fingers working my rings around my fingers and the piece of paper with my name on it for the reader to use later in the ceremony.  I knew I was nervous, not to be in the ceremony, but the nervous energy one has when a feeling of overwhelming accomplishment has finally achieved.  I followed the others to our seats and waited for the moment that I would walk across a stage to receive a diploma.  The last time this happened in my life was in 1992, my high school graduation.  

The first thing in the program I looked at was the paragraph that was written to the 2014 Spring Graduates.  Here is the sentence that immediately jumped out at me, "In 1992, the year, on average, when today's graduates were born, the world was a different place."  It kind of stopped me dead in my tracks...the year most of the people I was sitting with WERE BORN!  
Yet, there I sat, a person who graduated high school that very year, ready to receive a diploma with all these other 'kids'.  There were several times throughout the ceremony when I had to hold back my tears.  The first was when I saw my dad, 72 years old, waving his arms at me and pointing to where I could find the rest of my family in the huge crowd.  My dad, who told me this morning on the phone, "We're sure proud of you", my dad, who has been supportive of me even when I made decisions he probably wished I hadn't.  There is something entirely heart warming when your dad says he is proud of you, (even when you're 40).  
The tears began again as my row walked toward the stage and I looked up at my husband and saw him smiling at me.  I saw my daughter and my son and knew that this moment was truly something special.  I saw my mom, the one whose smile looks exactly like mine (I guess mine looks exactly like hers actually), and saw her smiling at me throughout the day.  I didn't care how goofy I might have looked because it was either smile like crazy or cry.  I don't think I even heard the reader say my name after I handed him my card, I just was so overwhelmed that I was on a platform shaking a hand and being given the folder that will hold my diploma.  (Of course it's not in there yet...I'll be anxiously awaiting for the mail for a few days).  I walked across and shook the Chancellor's hand, a man who has never met me, just as most of my professors.  I did almost my entire degree online so I didn't meet professors, the Chancellor, or anyone else on campus.  
The rest of the ceremony went rather quickly.  The final moment of near tears was at the very end when the ROTC graduates were given their commission to the United States Army.  A rather boisterous crowd fell nearly silent as these gentlemen held the respect of the audience.  Pretty cool to see.
My family waited for me at the top of the stairs and congratulated me.  (The pictures shown were taken right after the ceremony.)  We had lunch together and everyone headed home.  It was a great morning!

So...what's the plan now?  I decided that since I'm in the mode of homework, I should not wait to start a Master's program, again, age is only working against me so no time to waste!  I will be starting class in June.  I promise I don't need my head examined, I just have goals and I'm going to get there!  God has given me a desire to learn, to teach, and to not give up, so I'm doing my best to follow His path for my life.  He will strengthen me, there will be days when I'm exhausted, and He will help me through those days.  There will be days that I want to give up, He will use Ken and others to encourage me to keep going.  
My most exciting plan includes some very special children.  I will be teaching Kindergarten!!!  I will have a classroom full of beautiful children that God has specifically placed in my care.  They will bring challenges, joys, and their excitement into my life in 3 short months.  I can't wait!  There will be days that seem frustrating, God has been preparing me to handle those days.  There will be days of pure joy, I will thank Him for those moments.  There will be lessons He has for me to learn from the children, He will keep me humble in order to learn these lessons and make better decisions with more grace and mercy.  He has given me so many friends who I can go to for advice, ideas, and to share my joys with.  Old friends, new friends, and friends I have yet to meet.  He knows my need, He will provide.  
Our pastor teaches us that we each have a ministry.  I hope that any success I have had or will have will be seen by others as my ministry.  He has gifted me to work with children, it doesn't seem like work, it's joy, it's fun, and it's different every day.  It's been amazing to watch His plan fall into place.  
So, here's where I will end this current blog, I'm done with school!  Guess that means I need to come up with a new blog.  Anyone have any great ideas for a new blog title???


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on earning your degree and best wishes in your classroom. It is awesome that you are modeling the ideal of being a lifelong learner and not letting age stagnate your own learning.

    ReplyDelete