Thursday, June 26, 2014

Cooperative Learning Final Reflection

My Life is in Constant Transition…
A Story of How God Keeps Teaching Me

            This story is a continuing saga, some trials and tribulations, many joys, new experiences, and daily opportunities to learn more about fulfilling the passion God has set on my heart.  It’s been a journey that has taught me many things; some caused heartbreak and sleepless nights, but many more that brought laughter, learning, and love into my life and into the lives of those around me. 
            This story begins on a farm where I was so desperate to do gymnastics, I drug pillows and blankets out on to the lawn and risked broken limbs attempting tricks that I was sure I could master.  When my mom signed me up for lessons out of town, I was ecstatic!  It was short-lived unfortunately.  As a farm family, we could not afford the time it took us to drive an hour one way and I had to stop taking the lessons.  However, I was lucky enough to take dance and acrobatics from an instructor in a rural studio not far from my home and then additional ballet lessons later on.  As a high school cheerleader, my passion remained, I still wanted to learn.  My parents bought a trampoline and I also took tumbling classes from a gal in the next town over from ours.  I so badly wanted to tumble across the gym floor during a basketball game.  While that dream did not come true, God gave me the opportunity to teach others to do the eye-catching tumbling tricks I so longed to do myself. 
            As it turns out, the gal that I took tumbling lessons from decided to move to another state and needed to sell her mats.  She asked if I would want to buy them…um, yes, of course.  After a conversation with my parents, I decided that this was going to be my career.  I would be a gymnastics teacher!  I had a dear friend who cheered with me on my squad who was a great gymnast and we took on our first small business the summer after I graduated.  We opened our tiny gym in a downtown building her dad owned and taught ballet, jazz, and tumbling classes.  I was hooked and couldn’t imagine ever doing anything again in my life.  I read magazines, researched teaching methods, subscribed to publications, anything I could get my hands on to learn, I grabbed.  That fall I got a job in a gymnastics studio in my college town.  I vacuumed, cleaned toilets, and taught recreational gymnastics.  I was in heaven!  I was learning to coach from an amazing teacher; she was always ready to show me strategies, techniques, and ideas to help children learn the art of gymnastics.  I asked if I could travel with them when they took the team girls to competitions (I figured I could be everyone’s ‘gopher’ and I didn’t care, I just wanted to go!)  I learned about competitions, I watched higher levels of gymnasts, I met coaches, and I learned by watching, doing, and asking a lot of questions.
            I had another conversation with my parents who had already entrusted me to make my first purchase of mats, I didn’t want to go back to college, and I wanted to buy a building, teach gymnastics, and get my career going.  They agreed and we found a teeny, tiny building where I would teach tumbling and Jazzercise!  In all the excitement, I also married my high school sweetheart at the mature age of 19! 
            Fast forward 17 years of coaching recreational gymnastics and teaching lots of girls and boys to do those fantastic back handsprings!  I was ready for a new career and had returned to school to get an Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood.  I had opened a preschool and had decided I was ready to sell my gym.  My children were older and I was missing out on their activities.  I still wanted to work with children and particularly loved the preschool age so it was a pretty easy transition.  I used many skills and strategies in the gym to teach skills in preschool.  We played, we sang, we tried new things, we moved our bodies, and we told stories, all things I had been doing for 17 years with children.  I found that teaching gymnastics had given me the hands-on experience I needed to teach.  I found that God was leading me to my next career. 
            In 2010 we moved to Grand Island.  My husband had gotten a new job and we packed up our lives and headed down I-80.  I had signed up for some college classes but had to drop out because of our move.  I needed to find a job instead.  I took a position as a lead teacher in a preschool.  Although I loved every one of the 31 children I taught, I knew almost immediately I was in the wrong place.  My director had a completely different philosophy from my philosophy of the “whole-child” development.  I passionately believed in social development over academics.  I believed in relationships with children over ill-advised paper/pencil worksheet “school readiness” activities.  I spent lunches alone and in tears, talking myself through the next week, day, and even hours.  I staunchly defended my belief that children learn while doing, not while sitting and tracing.  I wrote an eight page lesson plan to my boss and the preschool board defending play, social development, physical development, and relationships.  I did not win.  I put my resignation in to finish the year and spent my time laughing and playing with the children I had come to love so much. 
            I did get back to my college classes the next summer.  In the fall, I taught at 2 preschools and taught dance/acro classes at a dance studio.  My joy returned.  My passion was growing. I began to imagine myself teaching kindergarten…
            Our final reflection for Cooperative Learning was an open-ended project with no parameters as to what or how we found the class useful and how we will use it in our classrooms.  I couldn’t think of anything “cool” that would express my appreciation for the concepts shared in this class.  This class that brilliantly tied my past to my future, this class that legitimized my passion for hands-on experience and social development as being “best practice” for educating children, this class that shared my vision for moving children becoming engaged learners, this class that fueled my passion even more.  I will be teaching kindergarten this fall.  God steered me to Grand Island, to student teach in an environment where I worked with at-risk children and families, to apply for a position in a low income school, and to be the one chosen for the ONLY open elementary in the district.  He leads, we follow, He weaves, and we lie under the blanket of His protection and security.  He loves with grace and mercy; I will allow His love to overflow in my heart to spill over into the lives of children who may not have ever experienced unconditional love.  I will pray that I will ignite the passion God places in the hearts of the children that I will have the honor of teaching. 


No comments:

Post a Comment